Friday, March 29, 2013

DIY Oatmeal Packets

My kids love the instant oatmeal that comes in the little packages, but I was getting sick of buying them when I knew I had all of the ingredients in my own cupboard.  I also have been trying to cut back on the amount of prepackaged, processed foods my family eats.  This was a no-brainer for me.

So one saturday, I gathered up my children and told them to form a line at the counter.  

All you need is oatmeal,  brown sugar, cinammon and ziploc bags.


I gave myself and each child a "job". 
I was responsible for putting the sacks inside of a plastic cup.  I did this so that it would be easy to drop the ingredients in and keep them stable.  I was also in charge of putting 1/8 tsp of cinnamon in each sack.
Isaac (in the white shirt) was responsible for putting 1 Tbsp of brown sugar in each sack.
Jared (blue shirt) was responsible for putting a 1/2 cup of oatmeal in each sack.
Amelia (down on the end) was responsible for closing up the sacks and putting them into a black basket that will be in our pantry.


 Our finished product!  When you're ready to eat, just dump the contents into a bowl, add about 2/3 cup water and heat for 1.5 minutes in the microwave.  We are also saving the plastic bags in a bigger plastic bag to use again for next time.


I didn't think about this until after we were all done, but normally my boys will eat two of the packets for breakfast.  Right now we are just letting them still dump two packets into a bowl in the morning.  Next time we make our packets I will just have them double the ingredients in one bag and we will mark those bags as a double batch.

You can adjust the recipe to include whatever you want.  I am thinking about trying dried apple chunks and cinnamon next time.  What do you like in your oatmeal?

No comments:

Post a Comment